Monday 15 August 2011

When Potatoes Meet a Cloudy Day~

Last Saturday, I woke up and saw the potatoes that I bought a week ago. I am supposed to use it for my second fake ice-cream shoot. Somehow I ate some of those and left only four mini size potatoes. This is not enough for me to make a few scoop of "Ice-cream". So I came out with an idea, why not I just shoot these potatoes?

With joy and excitement, I quickly setup my equipment. I have my old formal shirt, a spoon and a plate as the probs. A mahjong paper as a diffuser. With no doubt, the hero will be the potatoes. It is a hot and sunny day, I'm sweating like mad after I setup along with a couple of test shoot. But that is not going to stop me, I continue working on the potatoes in the kitchen.

When I'm half way done, the sky became cloudy suddenly. I felt so disappointed but I can't do anything with it. I have to remove the mahjong paper as it is too thick to be a diffuser under such condition and I do not have a good reflector to reflect the lights. So I shoot this series without any diffuser or reflector. I used only my D90 and my 50mm f1.8.

These are the photos I manage to capture for this series.

My tools


As you can see from this photo, I have my tweezers along to style a little bit of the meshed potatoes. And I had a small tiny piece of cheese on it. Just to make it looks better.

Bokeh again!


I play around with the depth of field. As you can see, I'm trying to bokeh away the foreground and let my hero become outstanding in this photo. Below is a photo that I shoot it with f8. The depth of field increased, everything on the "table" is sharp and only the background is being bokeh-ed. This give a different kind of feeling, more like tea time feeling.

f8, not a good choice


Anyway, I still prefer the shoot with a lower depth of field. Here is another shot with a low depth of field.

Bokeh the potatoes!


After playing around with different angles and different way of placing the hero and probs. This is the photo that I love the most.

meshed potatoes!


The rain started to rain around half an hour later. I packed my things, and get myself some rest.

After shooting everything, then only I realize the colour combination is not that good. The piece of cheese does not enhance much. I should have add some green around the hero. Perhaps some herbs.

Cloudy day give a natural softlight, sometimes you don't need a diffuser in a cloudy day. But you may need a huge reflector in order to clear the shadows. For my case, I need to DIY myself a larger reflector soon, A4 and A3 papers are not enough.

If you guys have any ideas to take good shots in a cloudy day, do share it out. C & C are all welcome.

Cheers,

Lu Ting Jieh


No comments:

Post a Comment